Monday

Monday, February 13, 2012

Side Table by jenib320
Side Table, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
On Saturday, I mentioned that I'd be making a table topper for our side table and I would document each part of the process for you. I didn't get too far today, but settled on a healthy stack of fabrics and a basic color scheme! I started with the color of the table, turquoise.  Keeping in mind that the futon is decorated with vintage sheets, I knew I wanted something bright and that possibly had a slightly retro feel.  So, I started digging in my fabrics!

Tabletopper Stack by jenib320
Tabletopper Stack, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
I first pulled focus fabrics that had turquoise, and large amounts of other colors. I knew I wanted to center the table topper around one of these.  The top print, from Domestic Bliss by Liz Scott, really stuck out to me. It has turquoise, lots of other colors, has a retro feel, and is nice and bright.

(You can find Domestic Bliss at The Intrepid Thread and Fat Quarter Shop, among other places!)

Tabletopper Stack by jenib320
Tabletopper Stack, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
From the Domestic Bliss print, I pulled fabrics in similar colors: red, pink, mustard, turquoise, teal, and eggplant. Now I've got a nicely coordinated stack, and I don't even have to use the original print if I don't want (I haven't quite decided yet!).  Time to think of a pattern that will suit these prints! Shall report back soon!

(The Woodlands by Khristian A Howell, Little Apples by Aneela Hoey, Outfoxed by Lizzy House, Sugar Pop by Liz Scott, Sugar Pop by Liz Scott, Wonderland by Momo, Girl's World Vibe by Jennifer Paganelli, Aviary 2 by Joel Dewberry, Lotus by Amy Butler, Modern Meadow by Joel Dewberry, Gingham by Michael Miller, Half Moon Modern by Momo, Tailor Made by Cosmo Cricket, Oh my! by Sanae, Heirloom by Joel Dewberry, Heirloom by Joel Dewberry, Domestic Bliss by Liz Scott.)

Pezzy Prints by jenib320
Pezzy Prints, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
I am powerless against a good basic, so when Moda decided to re-release the mono pez prints by American Jane (Sandy Klop), I had to pounce! Look how pretty they look all together?! It's a rainbow of Pezzy Print goodness!

I bought my stack from Fresh Squeezed Fabrics, who also happens to be In Color Order's newest sponsor! It's thanks to Randi that I sewed my first real purse! About a year and a half ago I won a kit from her shop and promptly sewed up my castle peeps purse! :)

Cookies by jenib320
Cookies, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
I needed a little something sweet this morning, so I decided to make these Potato Chip Cookies from Smitten Kitchen. They are goooood! Almost too good, especially considering the amount of sugar and butter in them! Oh well! :)

George by jenib320
George, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
George bun :)

Today I love the..
Smell of: Fresh laundry
Sound of: Harry Potter 2 Audiobook
Taste of:  Potato Chip Cookies
Sight of: Fabric stacks
Feel of: Staying cozy inside while it snows

Good Things about Today:
- Had a productive day!
- Happy mail!
- COOKIES!
- In one week, my Mom will be here to visit!!

18 comments :

  1. Oh I am loving that stack of fabrics. I've had my eye on those domestic bliss prints- they are just so bright and girlie and happy- I think I need to order some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking for some fabric to buy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those fabrics. They make me think of larger hexies. Can't wait to see what you choose. Also I loe the brightness of your bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stacks are fabric are awesome. I was resisting domestic bliss, but now I'm off to find some...

    ReplyDelete
  5. See what you did to me? Now I need that Domestic Bliss print! THANKS A LOT JENI! ;) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen
    I have been admiring/following/coveting your blog for some time now. You have an excellent eye for colour and design. I really enjoy seeing all of your creations. I just have one question for you - how do you find the time to do all of this? (cook, sew, plan, blog, etsy shop....) and take adorable pics of George! JoAnn :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed seeing your display of fabric. Do you have a design in mind for your table topper?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was an ah-ha moment for me - I can use a piece of fabric that I like for a color scheme, even if that specific print doesn't fit into the final piece. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog and all your beautiful stacks of fabrics, I am new to quilting and I just want to go buy everything, bad new addiction for an on-line shopping fiend! I am curious, when you buy stuff for your stash, like the pezzie prints, how much do you buy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing how you picked your fabric. I can't wait to see the pattern you pick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i was ogling those bundles of pezzy prints just yesterday at fresh queezed fabrics!!!! You may have pushed me over the edge :) the cookies look irresistable! as does george :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, loving your fabric goodies! The cookies look fab too... blinking diet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great stack. I only recently started some stash building (you are a bad influence), and I bought that same collection of mono Pezzy Prints -- got it yesterday!

    P.S. I don't know about your potato chip cookie recipe, but mine says they are even better the second day. I have never made it, so I can't vouch, but you might want to check!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm equally in love with the Domestic Bliss print you picked! And yes on the pezzy prints. I won a jelly roll and have already used a few pieces from it. And I will be buying more. It's an all-time favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm totally in love with that color combo of fabrics! Can't wait to see what you make out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like how you list what all of the fabrics are in your stack. And I finally ordered some Domestic Bliss today... woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I keep Carmex on my nightstand too lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for keeping this blog a positive place, I appreciate the time you are taking to leave a comment! I will answer any questions here in the comments section.

All comments are moderated to filter out spam. Your comment will appear after it has been approved.