Pretty in Patchwork: Holidays

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pretty in Patchwork: Holidays by jenib320
Pretty in Patchwork: Holidays, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
Guess what?! I have a project in this book ^^! :) I was so excited when one of my projects was chosen to be a part of Pretty in Patchwork: Holidays, put together by none other than John Adams of Quilt Dad! The book will be published in paperback form this Spring/Summer, but is available now as an e-book! Yay! I know I'm biased, but let me tell you, this book is AWESOME! So many projects I want to squeeze in this year!

Fun Fun Holiday Bunting by jenib320 
Fun Fun Holiday Bunting, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
Here is my contribution to the book, Fun Fun Holiday Bunting! I sewed it up to read Merry Christmas in fun reds and whites, but patterns for the entire alphabet are included, so you can make any bunting you'd like! I am going to make one to hang in our bedroom that reads "Good Night"!

Fun Fun Holiday Bunting by jenib320 
Fun Fun Holiday Bunting, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
This bunting was finished up and mailed away in April! I am not super patient (or good at keeping secrets!), so I am happy to finally share it with you! :)

Fun Fun Holiday Bunting by jenib320 
Fun Fun Holiday Bunting, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
As you can see, it's super patchworky, which is just my style!

As soon as I received my e-book copy, I knew I wanted to make this Countdown-to-Christmas Advent Calender by my friend Kaye Prince of Miss Print. You can see her original here. Isn't it adorable? I've always wanted to make an advent calender, but the thought of all those pockets always put me off. I love that this one simply sections off single strips to create the pockets. Instead of using candy or small gifts for each day, I'm just moving this little ceramic snowflake!

Thankfully I actually had a set of number stamps on hand. I thrifted them along with alphabet stamps a few years ago but had never used them. They're vintage, and I had no idea they were this cute! Now I want to stamp everything, haha!

I wish you could see it in the photos, I used sparkly linen from JoAnn Fabrics for the background. In person it looks so festive and pretty! For the tree and borders I used random prints from my stash. Kaye's version has patchwork borders, which I really wanted to do, but simply ran out of time, so I opted for solid borders. I am so happy with my new calender.

Thanks for including me in this book John, it's an honor! You can purchase the book here if you're interested!

*Side note: YOU GUYS ROCK! Seriously, I was so afraid no one would buy my pattern! Thank you, thank you, for your kind words and support!

Happy Sewing!

30 comments :

  1. Eek! That's SO cute!!! I'm totally going to have to put this on my amazon wishlist. I have a slight thing for decorating with bunting. It's sort of everywhere in my apt right now. Haha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bright colors of your patchwork! What great ideas. I just bought some fun polka dots : white on red, white on bright green, and bigger dots (quarter sized) in red and two greens on white. I can't wait to make something with them. I'm thinking of a table runner, and maybe using the long rectangles like you have in your bunting.

    Looks like a great book! I'll look for it. MH Gerber

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on being in a book! I love your bunting, and your idea of moving the snowflake along to mark the countdown is brilliant. I would like to do an advent calendar with my boys, but have hesitated because I really don't want them to have another piece of candy each day. Can't wait for the paper version to become available; the bunting, calendar, and polar bear hoop art are definate must-make projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't believe you've already made something from the book!! Yay!

    Thank you so much for the nice words, and for being part of the book. Your project rocks, and is so versatile for many different occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome!! Congratulations! So have you made the pickle from the book yet??

    ReplyDelete
  6. EEP! I love that bunting, so cute!!! And so versatile! I want to make one with my son's name for his room to match his new quilt (though I have to finish the quilt first, LOL). I also love your advent calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How exciting! Congratulations! I love the early eReader option!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, Jenni. What an accomplishment! Thanks for letting us in on your news. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeni congrats on your banner being included in the book! It's sweet! I bought your drawstring bags pattern a few days ago and just made a couple of bags. They look great! I used 'inch tape' (I don't know what it's called, but it's the cotton tape you can buy with inch tape marks on it) for the drawstrings and my bags are TOO cute! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woot woot, go Jeni! I love your bunting - it's fabulous. And it's so fun that you chose to do my project first from the book - it's super-cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I just bought the e-book. Thanks for the blog post about it. I love the the projects in it. If only I had time this year to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute Jeni! I love your bunting and the advent calendar. I will definitely be getting this book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats!! I love both the bunting and that advent calendar -- so cute!! I had high hopes of making us an advent calendar this year, but with today being the very first day that you must have one, well I was bad and bought one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you included piecing diagrams for the entire alphabet to make the bunting pattern useful for all sorts of occasions. Your advent calendar is super cute and I like the idea of simply moving the snowflake along each day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The alphabet bunting is genius! There are so many sayings I'd like to make, such as your suggestion of "Good Night", or maybe "Max's Room", or "Happy Birthday", or goodness, the possibilities are endless! I'm adding the book to my wish list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on being published! Your banner is cute and your advent calendar is perfect! I want to make them both!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the look of everything I've seen from this book but your bunting is especially O.M.G.!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on having this project in print! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the bunting. It is too late for me this year but I'm definitely going to make one for Holidays 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like such a cute book! I don't blame you for wanting to add projects to your list :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. How perfect as my son (he's just about 4 in 3 weeks that is:( Anyway we just started exploring the Advent season this year together:) Your calendar came out darling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jeni, i love your bunting! how adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Don't you worry...I couldn't wait to get my hands on that pattern. I whipped one up that night, and it turned out quite nicely if I do say so! Great pattern-writing. :) XOXOX

    www.emuf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. The bunting is fantastic, I love the letters. The advent is gorgeous and I like the snowflake idea too :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE your bunting and your advent! I too haven't sewn one yet but now you have inspired me! ANd I will have to get that e book!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm definitely going to download John's book. It's full of so many fun projects! Your bunting is cute, and I love the Advent Calendar! Such a fun project idea!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations,the bunting is awesome!!The book looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  28. oooo! love the bunting and love the calendar! another book to add to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That bunting is sooo fabulous! The calendar, too :) The book looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for keeping this blog a positive place, I appreciate the time you are taking to leave a comment! I will answer any questions here in the comments section.

All comments are moderated to filter out spam. Your comment will appear after it has been approved.