Sherbet Pips Quilt & a Lesson Learned

Monday, July 11, 2011

Sherbet Pips Quilt by jenib320
Sherbet Pips Quilt, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
Was so pleased to finish up my Sherbet Pips quilt! I was determined to get this one done before we move since it will be going on the double bed!

Pips!! by jenib320
Pips!!, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
This quilt features all 27 prints from Aneela Hoey's first fabric line for Moda, Sherbet Pips! I have to give a huge thanks to Rachel of Stitched in Color, Deborah of Whipstitch, as well as Aneela herself for the beautiful fabrics. I was the lucky winner of the March month of the Blogger's Pillow Party hosted by Rachel. I put my 5 yards of Sherbet Pips winnings towards a fat quarter stack from Whipstitch fabrics. Thanks ladies, couldn't have done it without you! :)

Sherbet Pips by jenib320
Sherbet Pips, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
You can read a little more about the design of the quilt top in a previous post here, but in a nutshell, I wanted a layout that would allow for large pieces of the sweet story prints as well as stretch the FQs into a double sized quilt! I'm very happy with the simple layout that resulted. It rounded the quilt out at 78"x93", just about double quilt size.

I quilted it with diagonal lines running through each large block 6 times (I think, haha). I used my walking foot which as always, makes it much easier! It isn't quilted super densely, I didn't want to loose the sweet story prints to quilting! I backed the quilt in a gray cotton sheet from Target. Darn the 100% cotton sheets are expensive! Luckily my Mom was in need of a fitted sheet, so we were able to split a set!

Sherbet Pips Quilt by jenib320
Sherbet Pips Quilt, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
I bound the quilt using one of the scarf stripe prints from the line. I went with the one that has red since it was my favorite!

Pillowcase by jenib320
Pillowcase, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
I'm making simple pillowcases to match this quilt too! I have one completed so far, and the other 3 cut out and ready for sewing. Two from the square dots and two from the puppies!

PLEASE HELP! by jenib320
PLEASE HELP!, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
There was a major mishap with this quilt. I used a blue "water soluble" pen to mark out the quilting lines. This turned out to be a very, very bad idea. I clearly did not read the directions or refer to the Dritz website, because I washed my quilt in hot water and used a small dash of Oxiclean. I always do this when I wash my quilts, I didn't give it a second thought. Boy do I wish I did. It nearly ruined the quilt. I pulled it out and it was covered in brown marks and bleached out lines where there had once been blue. After sobbing over it for a bit, we got to work. We tried some shout stain gel but that didn't do much. Then we tried soaking it in vinegar. This probably made it 80% better. The lines are pretty much gone, but there are still some random brown marks on it and a few lines are bleached out. At this point, I can live it. Lesson learned! On the plus side, from all the soaking and washing it went through yesterday, it's SUPER soft and worn in already! :)

Sherbet Pips Quilt by jenib320
Sherbet Pips Quilt, a photo by jenib320 on Flickr.
I really love this quilt. I think it's going to be a great cheerful bed quilt. I will admit though, there were a lot of sweat and tears that went into it. It represents some pretty big life changes that will be happening at the end of this month. This quilt was made to cover the double bed in our new apartment. When this quilt finally graces that bed, I will have moved. Moved away from my home state, away from my parents, marking a new chapter in my life. It will mean that I have moved in with Michael, my boyfriend of the past 3.5 years. For these reasons, I know this quilt will always be extremely special to me.

Thanks for stopping by! :)

44 comments :

  1. The best quilts are always the ones with a story behind them - even if that story includes lots of tears. :) It came out lovely - cheers to new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt - the mishaps and lessons learned along the way are what make up better. Good luck in your new life and your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased that there was a happy ending to this story Jeni, I know just how much work and thought you have put into this quilt. Great big fat hugs to you for getting through it (I would have cried too) and best of luck for the big changes ahead too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love this quilt! Your decisions along the way are really helpful in terms of both using large prints that you really don't want to cut as well as making the most of the fabric you have.

    I hope you will post a picture of your quilt on your new bed and officially mark the new adventures your life will take on.

    Best!

    (Ps - we would love to have you add this project to seamedup.com!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Jeni, this quilt looks fantastic!!! I'm so glad that things worked out with your darned water soluble pen - I can totally see myself doing something like that, I'm notorious for not reading the directions. Good luck with your move over the next couple of weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am soo relieved for you, that would've been devastating! It turned out beautifully, and it will look so nice in your new home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adventure, the quilt and the changes ahead. Enjoy the ride :) Your quilt looks awesome and will certainly make your new room spectacular!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is such a lovely quilt Jeni and I'm so happy to hear that you was able to rescue it !!!
    Moving together with your BF is such a big step.
    I moved in with mr. artistic 6 years ago (after being together for 1 year).
    Sometimes we struggle and we do fight a lot (especially when it comes to housework >___<) but it's worth all the stress ^___^

    Good luck with the move and please don't forget to give me your new adress !!!

    Isa

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out great! Very cheerful, indeed.
    I had a similar problem with marking quilting lines and now I don't even notice. Best of luck with the move!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, what WOULD have gotten the blue out??? Just spraying with cold water?
    Lucy~

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's lovely quilt, simple but effective. good job

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really beautiful quilt and love how you've quilted it (although sorry to hear that the marked lines caused you so much anxiety ~ I truly recommend you try the Clover Hera Marker for marking lines!).

    Good luck with your big move and wish you much happiness! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whew! I'm glad that story had a happy ending (at least 80% happy anyway!).

    It's a lovely quilt. I'm sure you'll both be happy in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very beautiful quilt, and touching story. I've never even wanted to attempt to make a quilt before, but just seeing the colors/fabrics you chose and the fun layout of the blocks, definitely makes me want to try making one! Thank you for all of the inspiration you hand out. Good luck with your move:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow - I've never had that happen! Glad it was salvageable!! Best wishes on your move!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations, on the quilt and the approaching life changes. It's both scary and exciting and I hope for the best for you! I could definitely use a winter quilt like that to remind me that the heat and humidity of summer (in NC) will soon pass.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eeks, what a trauma! I would have been in such a panic. I just quilted a large quilt for my daughter with straight lines. First I used painter's tape to mark it but that was a pain so I switched to marking with chalk. That was also time consuming so I got out the attachments for my walking foot to put the seam guide on. It was a dream. Congratulations on your move, and the gorgeous quilt for your new bed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jeni, it's gorgeous! I love how you showcased the prints of that line. I was just reading your about me and I'm a senior in college too! There's not too many of us in the online sewing community =P it's nice to find you! I've been reading your blog and didn't realize it. That's wonderful too that you are moving out to live with your boyfriend - I'm doing the same next year with my fiance Mike who I've been dating for five years. This wasn't meant to be such a long comment! - well, anyway - great quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw an antique quilt once that had all the quilting lines drawn on in some kind of ink that never washed out. It was such an intricate and beautiful quilt that I bet whoever made it shed a whole bunch of tears when the ink didn't wash out. It looked like it still got a lot of use and love, and it was kind of neat to see and wonder what the story was. Sometimes I think the mistakes are what make things interesting! Your quilt is lovely and good luck with your move :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. cute!

    btw, try greased lightning for the stain removal. works like a charm for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is really a darling quilt. I too have spilled tears over projects I invested so much into. I'm so glad it was at least 80% better in the end. Vinegar is such a wonderful fabric softner, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a wonderful way to use large prints! I also like the big patchwork blocks - but am never too interested in making a whole quilt of them. This is a great use for them both.

    Bummer about the blue pen problems you had. It seems like too many people have to learn this lesson year after year. I wish we could shout it from the roof! If you even get an iron near the blue - it can happen, too. Those nasty brown spots!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I would have cried and cried too. Heck I kinda feeling like crying now! I can't stand when I do something like that, but thank goodness you were able to get most of the marks out, and it sure is a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great quilt - I just love Sherbet Pips! So glad you were able to save it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful! Maybe what is left of the spots will fade with time & washing. Love that it's a little piece of wonderful to start a new life chapter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Change can be so overwhelming. Wishing you the best (and good thing you have a favorite new quilt to brighten the corners of your new life). Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  27. love the quilt and the big squares mixed with littles! never mind the small mishap. it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love it! Sorry to hear about your pen mishaps. I've done that before (more than once), it never fun. but your quilt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have had some terrible problens with that same pen. I haven't tried the Hera marker, but it is on my list. Right now I love the air soluble marker that writes purple (not sure the brand), but you have to work fast! The next day it's all but gone!

    The quilt is beautiful, and I wish you lots of luck and happiness. You have one of my favorite blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's a beautiful quilt! Well done Jeni! I did a similar thing with blue chalk...oops. it's nearly all come out, and anyway I gave that quilt away so I don't have to look at it anymore :) I do wish you all the best with the move. I moved from Illinois to the UK, and if I can do it, anyone can. I do miss my sister and mother a bit though...
    If you need anything I'm always here for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks fabulous - I am sorry to hear it was almost a bust with the pen - whew - it's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  32. what a gr8 quilt and sweet story :)
    I totally feel you on the blue....i used a blue pencil on some valentine placemats and it still won't come out! they are lighter now, but not up to my satisfaction. I have washed them like 5 times :) ya live, ya learn!

    Hope your moving goes smoothly and happy next chapter in life :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Best wishes on this new chapter in your life! My husband and I will be celebrating our tenth anniversary next month and it seems just yesterday we were moving in to our first apartment together. What a beautiful quilt. I have had bad experiences with those water soluble pens as well. I am afraid to use them now...I am sure you are too:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's so gorgeous! Love the quilting and the story behind the quilt! When something goes wrong when I am sewing or after the item is washed, I feel like the sky shattered or something, it just really freaks me out! Way cool you quilted the quilt yourself, so inspiring!

    I hope your move goes smoothly! Stuff some fabric into your purse! (I was telling that to a friend who was moving with lack of space and was cleaning out fabric)! Lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gorgeous quilt - love how you used the Pips fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm so sorry you had such a hard time with this quilt! It looks beautiful. Good luck with your move and all the changes that will come with it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Jeni, your Pips quilt is so lovely! I'm sorry about the mishap with the fabric marker, but it really is an amazing quilt. I'm excited for the changes in your life right now, but I know it's a scary transition. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  38. You quilt is beautiful. I worked with Sherbet Pips all weekend and it is such a fun line. I read a hint somewhere about using Crayola fine-tipped marking pens because they are designed to be washed out, probably in nearly any washing situation, hot, cold, etc. since they are mostly used by kids and you know THEY don't pay attention to what they are marking on!

    Good luck on the new chapter in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The quilt turned out gorgeous, despite all the marker issues! It's really cheerful and so cute.
    I'll be thinking about you during your move. I know it'll be a big change, but it will be so much fun for you to scope out all the best thrift shops! I'm sure you'll have a great time in your new home. Maybe you can even visit me sometime! :) ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your quilt is amazing, I love these fabrics! So cute, so happy :)
    And I wish you all the best at your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  41. There are new pens out called Frixion by Pilot. They come out with a hot iron, I have heard that they can appear again if you put the quilt in freezer. Who put there quilt in a freezer? I have used them and been successful so far. Good lock on your move and new life.

    ReplyDelete
  42. what a traumatic thing to happen to your quilt! i'm glad that the vinegar helped. how sweet to have a new quilt to put on your bed when you move. best of luck with all of your packing. how many boxes of fabric will you have? i'd like to see a peek of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I just started reading your blog (which is really inspiring, by the way) and I love it. My mom is making a bark-cloth bag and has had the same blue marker problem that you had. I'm going to pass on the vinegar idea. Thanks for the suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for keeping this blog a positive place, I appreciate the time you are taking to leave a comment! I will answer any questions here in the comments section.

All comments are moderated to filter out spam. Your comment will appear after it has been approved.